Sunday, July 20, 2008

Much Needed Update...

Yeah, sorry that I haven't given a good update... I'm still recovering from building the crib.

We have about 3 weeks to go if Tiff goes full term. So far she still feels pretty good. And she still likes Tim, so that's a good thing too.

In the last week we have finished the room, had an appointment with the pediatrician, completed the application for the day-care, and put the car-seat bases into both of our cars. Just a little planning ahead, people. We've also started building Tiff's emergency "holy crap we have to head to the hospital" bag. It is chock full of loose clothing for her, baby socks for the kid, and a little cooler big enough for a six-pack for me.

So since we're getting close enough to almost get into freak-out mode, I figure I'll take guesses (Mayse style) of the date, time, weight, length, and hair color of the baby. I was going to have you guess eye color, but I just learned that all newborns have blue eyes... who knew? (I still doubt the claim, but haven't stolen enought babies from the hospital to prove it otherwise)

So there's the update. Tiff has appointments once a week from now on, and I'll keep updating as we go along. If a little gooey kid pops out before then, we'll let you know immediately.

-- Tim

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How to Build a Crib...

Now that we all know how to buy a crib, the next step is putting the thing together. The first step is hauling the many pieces up to the baby room.

-- Actually, to back up, the first step is jamming all of the baby furniture into the back of an F-150 and rolling along I-85 at 45mph with it all stacked up in the back like Jed Clampett. We did that yesterday, so here we are now --

The first thing I did was look for the instructions... not because I needed them, but to see if I could do them in Chinese. It's a fun little game I play.

Thankfully, I quickly found the crumpled up mass of paper known as the instructions. BUT, they were fake instructions. So I kept searching.

Once I finally found the instructions, I noticed they were in English. Disappointing I guess. I decided to read the instructions anyways, just to make sure I would have built the bed right... which I would have.

For some reason I needed an allen wrench, some cotton string, and a putter.


The string didn't prove as effective as the bolts and wing-nuts did. But it did its job.

Once the crib was about complete, I needed to check to see if the floor was level. So that's what the putter was for.

Here's the assembled bed on the Plane Wall. I'll post pics of the finished room once we get it completed.